US District Court
Western District of Oklahoma

Chief Judge - Vicki Miles-LaGrange

Court Clerk - Carmelita Reeder Shinn

200 NW 4th Street

Oklahoma City OK 73102

(405) 609-5000

United States District Court for the
Western District of Oklahoma

Chief Judge - Vicki Miles-LaGrange

Court Clerk - Carmelita Reeder Shinn

200 NW 4th Street

Oklahoma City OK 73102

(405) 609-5000

Text Size A- A A+

Frequently Asked Questions

Services Provided by the Clerk's Office

Jury Administration

Bar Admission



CJA (Criminal Justice Act)

Court of Appeals



Services Provided By the Clerk's Office

What can I do if I have to conventionally file a document after 4:30 p.m.?

A night drop box is located in the lobby of the Courthouse just outside of the Clerk’s Office on the 1st floor. The building is open until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. You must arrive before 6:00 p.m. to access the drop box. The documents are picked up by our staff each day and file-stamped the day that they are placed in the box.

How do I view a paper file and order copies (regular or certified)?

Electronic case files are available twenty four hours a day, seven days a week. Please see the CM/ECF section of the court's web site for additional information

Our file room and intake counter are open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.  You may request to view a file and/or order copies (regular or certified). If you desire copies after 3:30 p.m., you may order the copies and the intake clerk will notify you by telephone when the order is complete. Copies cannot be made after 3:30 p.m. Copy requests can be made in person or in writing but not by telephone. You will need to know the case number and the document(s) to be copied. Written requests require payment in advance. The cost is $.50 per page. The cost of certification is $11.00 per instrument.

How do I obtain a file from Archives?

Court files are stored in the Clerk’s Office for approximately four years. Inactive cases older than approximately fours years are archived at the Federal Records Center in Ft. Worth, Texas. Files may be retrieved through the Clerk’s Office for a fee of $53.  Retrieval takes 5 to 10 working days. Archival requests can be made in person or in writing but not by telephone. Copies of documents from the file may be obtained for a fee of $.50 per page.

What is the procedure for ordering a transcript of court proceedings?

To order a transcript of a court proceeding that was recorded by a court reporter, you must contact that specific court reporter. If ordering for purposes of filing an appeal, complete a transcript order form (Form A-8), available under Appeal Forms on the website, with the case docket number, dates of proceeding for which transcript is requested and court reporter’s name. The form must be signed by the court reporter before it is filed.  If the case will be paid with CJA (Criminal Justice Act) funds, you must complete and attach CJA Form 24, available at the intake counter.

The Judicial Conference of the United States has determined that in multi-defendant case proceedings under the CJA, only one transcript should be purchased from the court reporter by one of the appointed attorneys on behalf of all CJA defendants. Then, one of the attorneys should arrange for the duplication at commercially competitive rates. Ten cents ($.10) per page is the maximum copy rate. For more information concerning commercial duplication of CJA transcripts, you may contact the duty attorney, Administrative Office (AO) Defender Services Division at (202) 502-3030.

How do I obtain a Certificate of Good Standing?

Certificates of good standing for members of the bar of this Court are available from the Court Clerk’s Office for a fee of $18.00. Please contact the Attorney Admissions Clerk at (405) 609-5051.

How are cases assigned to Judges?

All civil and criminal actions are assigned by a random selection process in order to ensure that the identity of the judge is not disclosed before the case is officially filed.


Jury Administration

How did I get selected as a juror?

The selection process for Grand and Petit jurors is governed by General Order 00-3.

Can I "apply" to be a juror?

No. Pursuant to the laws and procedures of the U.S. Courts, each court must have in place a standard procedure in electing jurors at random. This Court uses official voters’ lists from which names are drawn at random. It is against the law to allow "volunteer jurors" as it would interfere with the random selection procedures.

When I end my jury duty service, can I be requested to serve in the future or will I be excused from any further service?

Yes. You can be asked to serve in the future if your name is selected at random again. However, if two whole years have not passed since you ended your previous Federal jury duty, you may request to be excused.

If I work, do I still have to serve as a juror?

Yes. A great majority of jurors work. The employer has to provide the employee with time to serve as a juror.

Can my employer fire me because I am serving as a federal juror?

No. Jury service is a citizen’s obligation and the employer has to provide the employee with time to serve. Your employment is protected by Federal and State law. It is illegal for an employer to fire an employee because of jury service.

Is my employer obligated to pay regular salary even on jury duty days?

No. The employer is not obligated to do so. Although most private companies do, some reach an agreement with the employee to have them return the daily allowance paid to the juror ($40 a day), and they pay the employee in full. Other employers may just deduct the $40 from that person’s daily salary and come out even, and some companies simply do not pay the employee when out on jury duty.

What are the reasons to request to be excused from jury duty and what is the correct procedure to follow when doing so?

The judges of this Court deem any person to be qualified to serve on grand and petit juries in this district unless he or she:

  • Is not a citizen of the United States 18 years old who has resided for a period of one year within the judicial district;
  • Is unable to read, write, and understand the English language with a degree of proficiency sufficient to fill out satisfactorily the juror qualification form;
  • Is unable to speak the English language;
  • Is incapable, by reason of mental or physical infirmity, to render satisfactory jury service; or
  • Has a charge pending against him for the commission of, or has been convicted in state or federal court of record of a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than one year and his civil rights have not been restored.

The judges find it to be in the public interest and not inconsistent with the Jury Selection and Service Act of 1968 to exempt from jury duty the following:

  • Members in active service in the Armed Forces of the United States;
  • Members of the fire or police department of any state, district, territory, possession or subdivision thereof;
  • Public officers in the executive, legislative, or judicial branches of the government of the United States, or any state, district, territory or possession or subdivision thereof, who are actively engaged in the performance of official duties. Public officer shall mean a person who is either elected to public office or who is directly appointed by a person elected to public office.

The district court hereby finds that excuse from jury service by members of the following groups of persons will not be inconsistent with the Act and shall be granted upon individual request:

  • Persons over 70 years of age;
  • Persons who have, within the past two years, served on a federal grand or petit jury;
  • Persons having active care and custody of children under the age of 10 whose health/safety would be jeopardized by your absence; or essential care of an infirm individual.
  • Volunteer safety personnel who serve without compensation as firefighters, or members of a rescue squad or ambulance crew for a public agency.

The judge who is qualifying a jury panel is vested with complete authority to make a final decision with respect to whether a particular person may be disqualified, exempt or excused. Any person summoned for jury service may be excused by the Court, or by the Clerk under supervision of the Court, upon a showing of undue hardship or extreme inconvenience, for such period as the Court deems necessary, or the name of such person may be reinserted into the qualified jury wheel for selection.

For more information regarding jury service, contact the Jury Clerk at (405)609-5040 or visit the Petit Jury or Grand Jury pages on this website.


Bar Admission

 What are the requirements for admittance to the Bar of the District Court?

Local Rule 83.1 governs the role of attorneys, the committee on admissions and grievances, procedure for admission, eligibility, reciprocity, attorneys representing the United States, and admission pro hac vice.

Link to Local Rules


To whom should attorneys or the public in general write out check or money orders when making payments at the Clerk’s Office?

All checks must be written to the Clerk of Court or Clerk, U.S. District Court. The Clerk's Office also accepts the following credit cards:

What must be done to get back a cash bail or bond posted in the Clerk’s Office?

You must file a motion requesting disbursement of the cash bail or bond. The motion must stipulate the name of surety, name of defendant, and amount to be disbursed.  A check will only be issued in the name of the person who was shown as surety on the bail form.

When does the Clerk’s Office pay out attorneys or interested parties from funds in the Court registry?

Payment is made only after a Judge directs disbursement to the attorney or party in interest.  Once the financial section of the Court Clerk's office receive the order, a check is generally disbursed within two business days. The finance clerk will mail the check.

Is all money received at the Clerk’s Office registry invested?

No. A Court order must state that the money is to be deposited into an interest bearing account. Any investment involving the assumption of market risk is made only pursuant to Court order.

If we want to pick up the check instead of mailing, whom shall we contact?

You may contact the financial administrator at (405) 609-5047.



How do I apply for a position with the Court?

Vacancies are posted at Law clerk positions are generally published in the Oklahoma Bar Journal. The Court requests applicants submit a resume rather than a government application form. Law clerk applicants are also requested to submit a writing sample and sometimes submit resumes directly to the Judge’s chamber throughout the year.


CJA (Criminal Justice Act)

I served as court appointed counsel pursuant to the CJA of 1996. Am I responsible for the appeal?

Local Criminal Rule 44.1 and 44.2 and General Order 98-1 govern the Western District’s plan for the implementation of the CJA. In accordance with General Order 98-1 (F)(3), your appointment remains in full force and effect until relieved of duty by order of the district court or the court of appeals. See General Order 98-1 for more details.

Local Rules


Court Of Appeals

Does the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals hear oral arguments from Oklahoma City?

Yes. Conferences are scheduled by the Tenth Circuit and are conducted either in person or by video conference.